RS Aero UK Northern Championship - at the Filey Regatta, North Yorkshire, 29/30 June
RS Aero UK Northern Circuit Round 6
Thanks to Julie Archer for her most excellent 'report'
What happens in Filey.....does not stay in Filey!
Filey regatta has become a much loved part of the Northern circuit and this was our 4th trip to the event, in which 15 RS Aeros participated, the biggest fleet at Filey! Now, as I am sure you will have gathered, the UK Northern Circuit is not just about sailing, it’s a chance to meet up and socialise or mercilessly rip the pish out of each other, depending on your perspective. So with this in mind I thought I’d share how we do our race reports…..
In beautiful sunshine after an amazing days sailing we gathered on the terrace which overlooks the stunning Filey bay. On this occasion we were graced with a flock of para-gliders cruising the sea cliff who were so close we had to hang on to our beer…. The chat and the laughter flowed. The girls took the first shots at each other, the boys tried to get involved but obviously came out in tatters! Meanwhile someone was quietly taking notes on everything that was said……
Here is your chance to join in! As practice ready for the RS Aero UK Nationals at North Berwick, Scotland, later this month complete the Northern Banter Quiz, the names and some clues are on the results sheet! The winner will be awarded a mystery Northern Prize at the Commodore's Reception at ELYC, North Berwick on Wednesday 24th July!
Northern Banter Quiz
For each quote give the name of the person (A) Who said it? and (B) Who or What it was about?
1) ??? must be so fit, he/she(?) pays two gym memberships A) B)
2) OMG!! There is an empty woman over there… let me fill her up A) B)
3) RS Aero 9 rig….now we know why it has a pink flash!! A) B)
4) So, we were all beaten by a pretty girl then… A) B)
5) It was a fantastic day for drying your laundry A) B)
7) There is no 6. However, a number of closet RS Aero 6 sailors are emerging in the North! A) B)
8) I was about to be awesome.... ‘til Ed changed the rules A) B)
9) The North has a new Pink & Fluffy Princess A) B)
10) I’ve lost my boots….. A) B)
11) ...and (I've lost) your dignity!! A) B)
12) How funny was that when ??? fell out at the start, cursing expletives that went glug, glug, glug... A) B)
13) That was quite challenging....I’m not entirely sure I enjoyed it yet.. A) B)
14) I loved it…the bouncier the better! A) B)
I hope that this gives you a flavour of our weekend, glorious champagne sailing on Saturday, 33mph winds on Sunday, a really friendly and hospitable club, top northern banter, excellent fish & chips (Get this, Fish & chips, Pot of tea, Bread & butter all for £8.00...you can spend that on a shandy in the South! – we’ll be back again).
in t' North is the RS Aero Kielder Water open on Sunday 14th July, the RS Aero UK Youth Nationals in the midlands at Rutland is 19-21st July and then the RS Aero UK Nationals start at North Berwick, Scotland on the 24th through to the 28th, with over 70 RS Aeros already registered! Full details of all events are on the RS Aero UK Events List
The full results are on the link below. The important bits, Keith Escritt 1st, Eleanor Craig 2nd, Iain McGonigal 3rd and Tom Storey 4th - beating his dad Ed Storey into 5th!